Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Marana Elections

[Thank you for voting!]

You may have noticed my lack in posting yesterday.  I had the privilege of working as an election judge in Marana yesterday.  I love watching democracy in action.  I was saddened by the number of votes we had cast.  After working when we had @800 come to vote at the same location, we had only 42 people cast votes during the entire 13 hours the polls were open.  Thank goodness that so many people brought in or sent in Early Ballots or I would have been completely embarrassed at our numbers.  The Primary was to determine Mayor and City Council positions.


For those like me who are still wondering about the results, here is what I received from the Town Clerk this morning.


"On the unofficial and unaudited version of the results I was given at Div. of Elections last night, only two candidates have 50% or more right now - Roxanne Ziegler and Dave Bowen.  We are still waiting for the provisional ballots (16) and the early ballots (100 from Div of Election and and unidentified number from the Recorder's Office) to be verified and counted.  Only when that's done - hopefully today or tomorrow - will we know if we have any candidates moving to the General Election.  When the final votes are counted, we may have two candidates voted in at the Primary, but it is too soon to call. 
 
This is the official response to anyone who calls me."

To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.   ~Louis L'Amour

No comments: