On KVOA's 4 p.m. news today, we shared information on how children, teens, and adults can earn prizes this summer through Summer Reading Programs.
Pima County Summer Reading Program
Plus don't forget the great program offered at the Pima County Library for kids, teens, and adults! We have such a great library system here. If your local library doesn't have it, you can request it. If the county doesn't own the book and it has been out for more than a year, they will search and borrow it from another library participating in the Inter library loan program. It doesn't cost you a cent.
How to participate for Children:
Using the Gameboard
- Visit your local library and pick up a free gameboard any time between May 27 and July 24.
- Start counting the time you spend reading.
- Mark your progress on the gameboard.
- Every time you read 6 hours, bring your gameboard into any Pima County Public Library and get a prize.
Teens and Adults can register here.
Don't forget all the great kids activities available at the library. We've been to see Ronald McDonald and to make pizza with Dave, the pizza man. Both events were wonderful.
Barnes & Noble: Summer Reading Program
1. Kids read any 8 books and track them in the Passport to Summer Reading.
(DOWNOAD PASSPORT: here )
2.Bring your completed Passport to a Barnes & Noble store between May 25 and September 7, 2010.
3. Choose your FREE reading adventure from the book list featured on the back of your Passport. Your name will be automatically entered in the autographed book sweepstakes.
Here is the list of Free books the kids get to choose from:
- Abraham Lincoln: Lawyer, Leader, Legend Justine Korman Fontes 1-2
- Curious George Cleans Up / Jorge el curioso limpia el reguero H. A. Rey 1-2
- Frog and Toad Are Friends Arnold Lobel, 1-2
- Last One In Is a Rotten Egg Leonard Kessler 1-2
- Gorillas: Gentle Giants Of The Forest John Milton, 1-2
- Thomas Jefferson's Feast Frank Murphy 1-2
- My Trip to the Zoo Mercer Mayer 1-2
- January Joker by Ron Roy 3-4
- Goldie Ellen Miles by 3-4
- Ramona la chinche by Beverly Cleary 3-4
- Trouble at the Arcade by Franklin W. Dixon 3-4
- Sophie The Awesome by Lara Bergen 3-4
- Treasure Fever by Andy Griffiths 3-4
- Ramona's World by Beverly Cleary 3-4
- Half-Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer 3-4
- The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden 3-4
- The Calder Game by Blue Balliett 5-6
- El Soñador by Pam Muñoz Ryan 5-6
- The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan 5-6
- The Capture by Kathryn Lasky 5-6
- Jim and Me by Dan Gutman 5-6
- The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley 5-6
- The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More by Roald Dahl 5-6
- Freckle Juice by Judy Blume 5-6
- Stolen Sapphires: A Samantha Mystery by Sarah Masters Buckey 5-6
- No Talking by Andrew Clements 5-6
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien 5-6
- My Last Best Friend by Julie Bowe 5-6
Borders' Summer Reading Program
For kids 12 or under, read 10 books, get one FREE! Click here for details.
Bookmans Summer Kids Events and Reading Program
Click here to see the calendar of summer events for kids.
"Read 10 Books, Get A Free Book!"
Join our reading program! For every ten books you read, they'll give you one free. All you have to do is write a short report telling them:
- Your name and age
- The title and author of the book
- Why you liked or disliked the book
Click here to see all the other things you can do with your children this summer for little out of pocket to you!