Friday, September 18, 2009

9/18 KVOA Savvy Savings Information

http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/logo/tv/kk/kvoa4_tucson.jpg

Welcome, KVOA viewers!

Here is the information from today's appearance on KVOA's 4 p.m. news!

Next week (9/25) we'll be tackling the subject of Couponing with more detail with Martha!

If you'd like to attend a 45 minute step by step class on couponing, I'll be at the SAHBA Home and Garden at the Tucson Convention Center on Friday, October 9th and Saturday, October 10th! I'll be available to answer any money saving questions you might have.

Ten Ways to Save Money at the Grocery Store

  1. Have a weekly meal plan. Go through the store ads and plan your meals accordingly. If chicken is on sale, plan 2 meals that week that include chicken that week. Remember all store ads can be found online.
  2. Make a shopping list according to your weekly plan. Stick to the list. I allow myself 1 indulgence purchase per trip. If you stick to the list with 1 variation, you will save lots of money!
  3. Track prices of items that you buy regularly and stock up when they hit their lowest prices. For example, I stock up on my favorite name brand spaghetti sauces when their price hits $ .99. I know they only are sold at that price 3 or 4 times per year.
  4. Know the regular price on your favorite food items for the 3 stores you shop at most. You can find a printable tracking sheet at GrocerySavingsTips.com. To the side note the lowest sales price that you generally see on the item.
  5. Try to limit your shopping to only one day a week. You would be amazed how much the little trips to the store add up!
  6. Avoid crisis shopping especially when hungry. It's 5 p.m. and you are starving, you run into the store to just grab some things. Those are generally the most dangerous events on your pocketbook. Eat before you ever step into a grocery store.
  7. Coupons! Coupons! Coupons! Safeway, Bashas, and Frys double coupons taking up to $1 off. Pair coupons with sales items to get amazing deals. PinchingYourPennies.com is a free site that lists the Arizona Free/Cheap weekly deals using coupons. Using this resource and my coupons, I get free or next to free food, toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, etc...
  8. There are many ways to find coupons. The Arizona Daily Star offers their Saturday and Sunday with coupon papers delivered to your home for $5 per month or $60 per year. Coupons.com offers free printable coupons right from your own computer. You can print each coupon you like twice. Sign up for store mailings. I get coupons every couple months mailed to me from Frys. Most food companies have websites where you can print off coupons as well.
  9. When your coupons come, do not cut them until you are ready to go to the store. Place them in a file folder noting the date they arrived and the coupon insert initials. SS stands for Smart Source. RP stands for Red Plum. Pinching your pennies lists the deals telling you which insert and which Sunday it was delivered. I copy and paste what deals I want to take use into a document. Then, I cut the coupons and place them into an envelope labeled with the store where I plan to shop.
  10. Don't forget about CVS and Walgreens freebies using coupons, Extra Care, Bucks, and Register Rewards. I list the coupon deals for each week on my Savvy Savings Tucson blog. Click here for information on how to get started saving at CVS.

Click here and read how you can SAVE 35% on my cookbooks.

No comments: