Watch KOLD13 between 5:50-6 a.m. Thursday to watch me make all kinds of different cookies with one basic dough recipe!
Author of 101 Things To Do With A Cake Mix
1 box yellow or mix
1/3 cup oil
Mix all ingredients well. (Some chocolate cake mixes require an extra 2 tablespoons of oil to reach consistency.) Drop by spoonfuls using small cookie scoop. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes at 350 or until done. That is the basic recipe...the variations are what make it special. Use small part of dough (1/6 of it) to make 6 to 8 cookies of the variation. This gives you a large tray of cookies when you use 2 or 3 cake mixes.
For chewy cookies, remove cookies from the oven when the edge is starting to turn golden but while the top is still white. Allow the cookies to sit on the hot tray for 3-4 more minutes to finish setting up.
1. Add chopped or finely ground nuts. Knead into dough.
2. Mix one part cinnamon and four parts sugar in small bowl. Drop balls of dough into mixture and shake around (use yellow cake mix)..these taste like snickerdoodles.
3. Wrap scoop of dough around candy bar pieces, such as Rolos, Andes Mints, Hersheys Treasures, snickers, milky way, caramels, etc. and you will get a surprise when you bite into cookies.
4. Knead chopped up candy bars such as Skor or Butterfinger, reeses pieces, m & m's, raisins, etc into ball of cookie dough.
5. Add a little flour to stiffen dough. Roll dough with hands into snake ropes. Drop into red sugar crystals and intertwine with yellow cake rope and make candy canes. Or use green and make wreaths and decorate with red hots.
6. Zest a lemon or orange into dough.
7. Add flour to yellow dough until it reaches consistency. Roll them out and you can make sugar cookies with cookie cutters. Sprinkle with colored sugar crystals
8. Make sandwich cookies...take two of the cut outs and place frosting in between. Chocolate stars with sugar on top and lemon zested frosting (white canned frosting with ) in between are really good.
9. Make a filled cookie by placing a spoonful of strawberry or apricot preserves over one flattened cut circle of dough. Place another flattened circle of dough over top. Seal edges.
10. Wrap chocolate dough around a cherry.
11. Make cookie tarts with your mini muffin pans and tart shaper. Fill with miniature reeses cup or chocolate chips and bake...can even use Decorator to fill the empty tarts with a mousse or pudding.
12. Make a bar cookie in a 9 x 13-inch pan. 1 of this recipe with 1 cup chocolate chips stirred in fits perfectly in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes until done.
13. Make cookies with plain dough using a !
Walmart Shopping List:
Pillsbury Yellow or Chocolate Cake Mixes .88/each
18 ct Large Eggs 1.77 (Price Match to Albertsons ad)
1 bottle (48 oz) canola or vegetable oil 2.98
Pick and Choose any of the following to buy:
Nestle Semi-sweet Chocolate Morsels 12 oz $2 (Price Match Bashas ad)
1 jar 10 oz cherries $1 (Price Match Bashas ad) (Optional)
Hershey's assorted Holiday Candy 10-12 oz 2.50 (Price Match Fry's ad)
Giant Hershey Symphony Bar 1.25
Butterfinger (Small container of 10 fun size bars) .97
Andes Mint Baking Chips 1.98
Rolo Minis 2.68
Total price varies depending on what you choose to do with these cookies.